Before I list them, I have to tell you that although I’ve rejoined the Catholic church, I’m a Protestant at heart. I follow and read, every day, the King James Version of the Bible, rather than the Good News Bible, as most Catholics do. Why? Because I believe that the more you “Dumb Down” a Bible, you walk away from the original meaning. I don’t believe the Apocrypha has a place in any Bible. Further, I believe the KJV is beautiful in its translation.
The Ten Commandments can be found in Exodus 20 and in Deuteronomy 5. I give you the Ten Commandments:
- And God spake all these words, saying, I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt not have any gods before me.
- Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven images, nor any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that in the waters under the earth: thou shall not bow thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, vising the iniquity upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; and shewing mercy unto them that love me, and keep my commandments.
- Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
- Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: but the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
- Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land that the LORD thy God giveth thee.
- Thou shalt not kill.
- Thou shalt not commit adultery.
- Thou shalt not steal.
- Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
- Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor anything that is thy neighbour’s.
John 14:15 – If ye love me, keep my commandments. (KJV)
Thank you for sharing! I’m still trying to figure out the best way to keep and honor the Sabbath.
LikeLiked by 1 person
I have a problem with that too. If I’m able to go to church, Mom would take me to a Catholic church, when I would prefer to go to VCCC. So, I read the Bible every day, including its commentary. I don’t work on my blog on the sabbath. I just finished a wonderful Christian book. Anything I can do to keep the sabbath holy.